About Me

My Photo
sinn
"If you’re a freak like me, Wave your flag! If you’re a freak like me, Get off your ass! It’s our time now, To let it all hang out!" I am a recovering English major, closet bibliophile, breve addicted, zombie lover with a rockabilly and heavy metal fetish.
View my complete profile

Followers

My Blog List

Total Pageviews

My awards

Labels

.family (1) 'fridge (1) 1500 calorie diet (1) 1500 calories (2) 17 day diet (1) 344 pounds (1) accident (2) accomplishments (1) aerobic exercise (1) angel (7) animals (2) anorexia (1) art (1) august (2) aunt flo (1) award (1) belly dancinc (1) bff (3) bibliophile (1) bike (2) birthday (3) bitch (1) BMI (1) boobs (1) books (1) bras (1) breakfast (1) breasts (1) bulimia (1) bullying (1) calories (1) cardio (10) cars (4) cats (1) challenge (1) change (2) church (2) cleaning (9) clothing (2) comic books (2) confession (2) couch (1) couch potato (1) curvy women (1) daily workout (1) dance (1) day 1 (2) day 2 (1) day 3 (2) day 4 (1) day 5 (1) DDR (3) depression (1) diet (1) dog (1) drawing (1) eating disorders (1) eating out (2) elliptical machine (13) emotional eating (1) epic fail (1) exercise (12) exercise diary (2) exercise DVDs (1) exercise log (2) family (2) fashion (1) fat acceptance (1) fish (1) flylady (1) food (5) food diary (2) geek (4) Geneen Roth (2) goals (1) good health (4) graphic novels (4) gym (17) gyn (1) hammock (1) healthy lifestyle (4) heels (1) hiking (1) hoarding (1) hot tub (2) hubby (5) ink (4) ipod (1) jobs (18) jogging (2) johnny carino's (1) juneau (19) junk food (3) just my size yoga (3) kitchen (1) kung fu panda (1) lane bryant (1) layout (1) lazy (1) life (1) machines (1) mailbox (1) makeup (3) me (1) measurements (3) medication (1) meh (1) milk (1) mini-goals (1) money (3) movies (2) music (1) nap (2) netflix (1) never day diet (1) never say diet (1) new ink (3) new year's (1) new year's resolution (1) nitty-gritty (1) obstacle (2) oprah (1) out of shape (1) party (1) personal trainer (3) pilates (9) pilates gym (1) plan (1) playlist (6) pop (1) portion control (1) punk rope (1) quotes of the day (4) radio (2) rec center (39) reflections (1) resolution (1) restart (1) resume (1) review (1) rockabilly (1) running (14) school (1) sedate (1) self image (1) sephora (1) sick (10) Sinn Wagon (2) sleep (7) slippage (17) snack (1) society (1) stability ball (1) starting fresh (1) stationary bike (2) swimming pool (2) swimsuit (2) tattoo (4) tgif (1) thoughts (8) tiramisu (1) tmi (3) torrid (1) treadmill (8) university (1) update (2) video games (2) walking (10) weather (4) wee5 (1) week 1. (1) week 1.3 (3) week 2 (8) week 2 review (1) week 3 (9) week 4 (8) week 5 (5) week 6 (2) week 7 (3) week 8 (3) week 9 (1) weekly exercise (37) weekly goals (6) weekly menu (15) weigh-ins (6) weight loss blogs (2) weights (5) whirl pool (5) women food god (3) yoga (7) zombies (5) zumba (2)
Copyright Sinnful Designs, Inc., Gabrielle Sunderman. Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, January 1, 2011
My new running book was waiting in my mailbox this afternoon!! I sat down and had a chance to look over everything. It makes running look easy! Some of the online tools I was looking at have you alternate between 1min running and 1-2min walking. It seemed easy enough, but I couldn't get a full minute of running!! And it nearly killed me trying to push it that far. In Running: Getting Started, Galloway has you build from a 5-10min period of 5-10sec running and 1-2min walking. With my current level of fitness, this is much more attainable. Actually, it makes me feel really, really empowered!!

Galloway lists a basic 3 week course of running. He has your running 3 days/wk and build up time each day. After completing the 3 weeks, he goes into a 21 week program. He actually splits the 21 weeks into 3 different programs to fit your needs:

  • The Gold Program: "For those who have followed the schedule to day, and are feeling strong."
  • The Silver Program: "For those who want to increase more slowly and/or have had aches and pains."
  • The Fat-Burning Program: "More exercise time. All walks and runs should be done very slowly."

For running in general, he makes it clear not to huff and puff. He talks about the difference between aerobic running and anaerobic running. Even though I have the legs of a sprinter (anaerobic), I want to be able to work on distance and endurance.

In later sections, Galloway talks about the proper nutrition and diet for a runner. He goes into details about why diets don't work, why it is better to eat every 2 hours, the truth behind some of the scams (i.e., low carbs), and the importance of smaller meals. I understood the concept of smaller portion sizes and eating to full; however, I didn't realize that eating 3+ hours between meals caused our starvation mode to kick in.

sengihnampakgigiAll of this from just flipping through the book while hubby goofed off on my computer. If you're interested in running, based upon what I already saw, I highly recommend this book!

I am really excited to get started on Monday!

Sinn

2 comments:

Katie Warren said...

Good luck with running! I am almost finished with the c25k program. Running is EXCELLENT exercise! you'll love it =)

<3 katie

sinn said...

The c25k looked awesome, but felt too far above my level when I tried it :( It is awesome that you're almost finished with it! w00t!!

My husky puppy, Juneau, keeps telling me that she is so excited to be my running partner when the weather gets better. :)