About Me

My Photo
sinn
"If you’re a freak like me, Wave your flag! If you’re a freak like me, Get off your ass! It’s our time now, To let it all hang out!" I am a recovering English major, closet bibliophile, breve addicted, zombie lover with a rockabilly and heavy metal fetish.
View my complete profile

Followers

Total Pageviews

My awards

Labels

.family (1) 'fridge (1) 1500 calorie diet (1) 1500 calories (2) 17 day diet (1) 344 pounds (1) accident (2) accomplishments (1) aerobic exercise (1) angel (7) animals (2) anorexia (1) art (1) august (2) aunt flo (1) award (1) belly dancinc (1) bff (3) bibliophile (1) bike (2) birthday (3) bitch (1) BMI (1) boobs (1) books (1) bras (1) breakfast (1) breasts (1) bulimia (1) bullying (1) calories (1) cardio (10) cars (4) cats (1) challenge (1) change (2) church (2) cleaning (9) clothing (2) comic books (2) confession (2) couch (1) couch potato (1) curvy women (1) daily workout (1) dance (1) day 1 (2) day 2 (1) day 3 (2) day 4 (1) day 5 (1) DDR (3) depression (1) diet (1) dog (1) drawing (1) eating disorders (1) eating out (2) elliptical machine (13) emotional eating (1) epic fail (1) exercise (12) exercise diary (2) exercise DVDs (1) exercise log (2) family (2) fashion (1) fat acceptance (1) fish (1) flylady (1) food (5) food diary (2) geek (4) Geneen Roth (2) goals (1) good health (4) graphic novels (4) gym (17) gyn (1) hammock (1) healthy lifestyle (4) heels (1) hiking (1) hoarding (1) hot tub (2) hubby (5) ink (4) ipod (1) jobs (18) jogging (2) johnny carino's (1) juneau (19) junk food (3) just my size yoga (3) kitchen (1) kung fu panda (1) lane bryant (1) layout (1) lazy (1) life (1) machines (1) mailbox (1) makeup (3) me (1) measurements (3) medication (1) meh (1) milk (1) mini-goals (1) money (3) movies (2) music (1) nap (2) netflix (1) never day diet (1) never say diet (1) new ink (3) new year's (1) new year's resolution (1) nitty-gritty (1) obstacle (2) oprah (1) out of shape (1) party (1) personal trainer (3) pilates (9) pilates gym (1) plan (1) playlist (6) pop (1) portion control (1) punk rope (1) quotes of the day (4) radio (2) rec center (39) reflections (1) resolution (1) restart (1) resume (1) review (1) rockabilly (1) running (14) school (1) sedate (1) self image (1) sephora (1) sick (10) Sinn Wagon (2) sleep (7) slippage (17) snack (1) society (1) stability ball (1) starting fresh (1) stationary bike (2) swimming pool (2) swimsuit (2) tattoo (4) tgif (1) thoughts (8) tiramisu (1) tmi (3) torrid (1) treadmill (8) university (1) update (2) video games (2) walking (10) weather (4) wee5 (1) week 1. (1) week 1.3 (3) week 2 (8) week 2 review (1) week 3 (9) week 4 (8) week 5 (5) week 6 (2) week 7 (3) week 8 (3) week 9 (1) weekly exercise (37) weekly goals (6) weekly menu (15) weigh-ins (6) weight loss blogs (2) weights (5) whirl pool (5) women food god (3) yoga (7) zombies (5) zumba (2)
Copyright Sinnful Designs, Inc., Gabrielle Sunderman. Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
But what would it take for me to be able to look at my body and know it's no perfect but love it anyway? What would it required for me to start with my feet and say: I love my feet because they help me to stand, my ten toes give me balance, without them I'd have to sit or crawl. And I can buy really cool shoes to wear on them. I love my legs because they make me feel strong, they support the weight of my body, and, even more, they take me places. I can walk, I can run, I can go wherever I want to go because I have two legs. I love my abdomen because even though it's softer than I want on the outside, inside it is life giving. Beneath that fleshy exterior I can give life to another human being, something that only women can do. I love my breasts because though they are smaller than I would like them to be they are mine. And they are part of what makes me feminine. I love my neck because it turns my head. I couldn't see everything I want to see without a neck. I couldn't look up and see a full, white moon or a zillion stars. With my mouth, I can speak, I can eat, I can smile, and I can kiss. My ears hear music and eaves crashing, and the voice of those I love telling me the love me too. My nose can smell homemade spaghetti cooking, brownies fresh from the oven, springtime air, and when the snow is on the way. My eyes can see the beauty of the world around me. They see they ugliness too, but that is what gives me perspective and makes me appreciate the beauty. That is me. That is my physical body fill with imperfections, but still enables my fullness of life.
-Transparent edited by Sarah Zacharias Davis

I keeping coming back to the same thing: If I cannot find myself beautiful or appreciate myself NOW, then changing my diet and exercising are pointless. Yes, I need to be healthy, but if I spend my time hating myself, is there really a point of all of this? I pray that we can see ourselves the way God sees us. He does not make ugly. In some ways, hating ourselves is telling God He messed up. That doesn't seem like a good idea. See how far it got Adam and Eve!

If weight were really just the math problem most experts would have you believe, then we would be able to make a nice little formula for ourselves based on calories (caloric intake minus caloric output equals weight loss). However, just about anyone has ever dieted or worked out has discovered that the formula isn't quite so clean-cut.
-The Fat Girl's Guide to Life by Wendy Shanker

Hmmm . . . If it is not simply the math formula, what is going on? I think all of the health experts are missing something. Obesity is not purely based on inactivity and overeating. it is true that those reasons can contribute to the problem, but what is the root of the issue?

My mom has always told me that I have the coveted hour-glass figure. She even tells me that one of her uncles used to call me his little Marilyn Monroe. I had platinum blond hair, blue eyes, you name it. This was, of course, when I was still little. Before my beautiful blond hair changed to an ugly muddy or ashy brown. Ick! My eyes have even started to turn towards gray. I always had problems finding clothes to fit. I am 5'3". I'm considered petite, but my bust and hip size determines the clothes I wear. It is hard to find short pants in the size my hips dictate. Buying a bra is costly! Granted, my rack looks AMAZING in a bra that fits right, but it is still needlessly expensive. It has been hard for me to see these things as a blessing.

Why am I telling you this? I was in the gym today working on the elliptical machine. It faces windows that overlook the lane-pool. There is a little bit of a reflective surface on the glass. It doesn't show enough to pick out detail. But it showed enough. I finally saw my figure without seeing the fat (thanks to the not-entirely-reflective glass). And, you know what, it is (excuse "french") fucking HOT! Watching myself, I was finally able to see what my mom goes on and on about. For once, I don't hate my big hips or larger bust. When I was in pretty good shape, I nearly had a 15" waist. Even though I don't still have that, my figure is still rocking! Yes, sexy curves are ahead ^____^

2 comments:

Losing It said...

Lucky lady! I'm more of the "tree stump" figure. ;)

spice2116 said...

i love that first quote so explains my feeling towards my body.